+(852) 3917 2632
Dr. Chan completed her undergraduate studies in Biochemistry at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1994. She obtained her Ph.D. in Surgical Science Division of the Faculty of Medicine from CUHK in 1998 and finished her first post-doctoral fellowship in Orthopaedics and Traumatology in the same institution in 1999. Dr. Chan then joined the Innovation and Technology Commission participating in the operation of the Small Entrepreneur Research Assistant Program under the Innovation and Technology Fund. After a one-year service in the government, she received her second postdoctoral fellowship in the Wellman Laboratories for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital in Harvard Medical School. Dr. Chan moved back to Hong Kong in 2002 and worked in the CK Life Sciences Int'l Inc. as a project manager. She joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in the University of Hong Kong in 2003. Her main research interests are tissue engineering and regeneration, biosurgery, laser medicine, stem cells and biomaterial interactions, and mechanoregulation.
Micropipette and microplate-based technologies
Microsphere-based drug delivery
3D culture systems
Tissue engineering applications
Enhancement of the trip matrix estimation procedure in the CTS-3 Model
Review of overseas practices on the formulation of road safety strategy and the effectiveness and the applicability in Hong Kong
First and second parking demand Study
Review of the Annual Traffic Census
Hong Kong Island North and Kowloon West Traffic Study
Selection of five most representative publications in recent five years:
1. LiYY, Lam KL, Chen A, Zhang W, Chan BP. Collagen microencapsulation recapitulates mesenchymal condensation and potentiates chondrogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells - A matrix-driven in vitro model of early skeletogenesis. Biomaterials. 2019; 213:119210.
3. Zhang W, Kong M, Tong MH, Huang N, Costa K, Li R, Chan BP. Maturation of human embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes (hESC-CMs) in 3D collagen matrix: Effects of niche cell supplementation and mechanical stimulation. Acta Biomater 2017 Feb;49:204-217. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.11.058.
4. Ma JN, Li CW, Huang N, Wang XN, Tong MH. Ngan AHW, Chan BP. Multiphoton fabrication of fibronectin-functionalized protein micropatterns – Stiffness-induced maturation of cell-matrix adhesions in human mesenchymal stem cells. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2017 doi: 10.1021/acsami.7b07064.
5. Ho FC, Zhang W, Li YY, Chan BP. Mechanoresponsive, omni-directional and local matrix-degrading actin protrusions in human mesenchymal stem cells microencapsulated in a 3D collagen matrix. Biomaterials (2015) 53: 392-405.
Selection of five representative publications beyond the recent five-year period:
1. BP Chan, JN Ma, JY Xu, CW Li, JP Cheng, SH Cheng. Femto-second laser-based free writing of 3D protein microstructures and micropatterns with sub-micron features - A study on voxels, porosity and cytocompatibility. Adv. Funct. Mater., (2014) 24(3): 277-294. (Frontispiece story)
2. Li YY, Choy TH, Ho FC, Chan BP. Scaffold composition affects cytoskeleton organization, cell-matrix interaction and the cellular fate of human mesenchymal stem cells upon chondrogenic differentiation. Biomaterials (2015) 52: 208-220.
3. Cheng HW, Luk K, Cheung KMC, Chan BP. In vitro generation of osteochondral interface from mesenchymal stem cell-collagen microspheres. (2011) Biomaterials 32: 1526-1535.
4. Hui TY, Cheung KMC, Cheung WL, Chan D, Chan BP. In vitro chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells in collagen microspheres: Influence of cell seeding density and collagen concentration. Biomaterials (2008) 29: 3201.
5. Chan BP, Hui TY, Yeung CW, Li J, Mo I, Chan GCF. Self-assembled collagen–human mesenchymal stem cell microspheres for regenerative medicine. Biomaterials 28 (2007) 4652–4666.
Selection of patents (issued / filed)
1. Chan BP, Wong HL, Wong MY, Chan GCF, Yang ZF. Methods to Enhance Mesenchymal Stem Cell Migration. US Regular Patent Application (Published on 14 Jun 2012) (Application No. 13/159,835)
2. Chan BP, Chik TK, Choy ATH, Ma XY, Cheung KMC. Materials and Methods for Filling Biological Cavities and Preventing Leakage of Injected Therapeutic Agents. US Regular Patent (filed on 13 Jun 2013) (Application No. 13/916,982)
3. Chan BP, Cheng HW, Chik TKD, Cheung KMC, Luk KDK. Methods for Complex Tissue Engineering. US Regular Patent Application (filed on 14 June 2011) (Application No. 13/159,837)
4. Chan BP, GCF Chan, Wong HL, Cheung PT, Cheah K, Chan D. Cell-Matrix Microsphere, Associated Products, Methods for Preparation and Applications. PCT Patent Application (Chinese Patent No. 200780018296.8) (Issued on 2 Sep 2013)
5. Chan BP, Chan CM, So KF. Collagen-Based Microspheres and Methods for Preparation and Use. US Regular Patent 20080317866 (filed on 2 Jul 2008) (Published on 25 Dec 2008) US Patent No. 7,931,918 (issued on 26 April 2011)
6. Chan BP, So KF. Photochemically crosslinked collagen scaffolds and methods for their preparation. U.S. Patent 7,393,437 (2008)